A friend of mine asked that I make her a paper plane pendant after seeing the origami unicorn I had made. I’ll admit it took a bit more effort to make than I thought it would, but it turned out okay in the end.
Here are all the origami themed pendants I have made so far.
This is a simple little pendant I made a little while back. I really like how simple it is. I was going to have it hang symmetrically, having the ring either on the tip of the wing or the crane’s chest, but after testing it out with a friend in studio, we came to the conclusion that it would accentuate the geometry of the design if the pendant was hanging a little off centre.
I seem to alternated between geometric and floral, or overly sentimental designs. This week saw me do another flower ring. I wanted to test this Hydrangea design, so that I could start on a slightly more elaborate piece next week. I want to make a silver flower crown. Overly sentimental for the next few weeks I guess…
Cold connections is something I hadn’t tried before and something my instructor had been trying to get me to do for some time now. I finally did it and I messed it up right away because I put it through the roller too soon. Luckily I only had to double up the layers to give it rigidity. Added amethysts details to the ends to finish it off.
This is the second bangle I’ve made. They work quite well together.
It’s become a private joke in studio that I like making weapons masquerading as jewelry. This ring is no exception.
I only get three hours a week in studio/class to work on my jewelry. Normally I plan what I want to make, sometimes down to the steps I want to follow – a mise en place of sorts. Often this results in me having time left to make something simple/quick towards the end of class. This is another of the “I have time left to make something” pieces.
When I made the embedded ring, I made another plain silver one just like it. It seemed a little lifeless, so I added a lacy detail and employed the “chemical colouring” technique to add a little more interest. I was binge watching Boardwalk Empire at the time, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the costumes or fashion of the 1920’s subconsciously filtered into the design. On the other hand, it does look like something that had been in the ocean for too long and some sort of parasitic organism was now living off it. (Could also be linked to Boardwalk Empire’s ocean theme.)
My high school art teacher had a wedding ring that I remember till this day. While I don’t remember exact decorative details, I do remember it had a red heart-shaped stone with a silver dagger apparently piercing it. Back then, I thought it was very romantic.
A friend of mine recently got engaged, and her ring featured a similar motif – it didn’t have a stone though. None the less it sparked the fire of inspiration. I set out looking for a red heart-shaped stone – something I didn’t expect to be as tedious as it turned out to be. After checking several shops, I settled on what I think is a red Zirconia. I don’t really care, just wanted to make this ring. I’m pretty proud of my first attempt at setting a faceted gemstone.
I didn’t use wax or any casting methods to make this ring. It was built up from scratch. The heart and dagger motif has an interesting history – at least in tattoo design. You can read more about that here and here. I learned later that my friends ring (that unlocked a memory and set this whole process in motion) is actually a Claddagh ring.
Because I’m very happy with how it turned out, I’m sharing more photos than usual.
You must be logged in to post a comment.